Sunday, June 23, 2013

Big Week

This week will be another milestone.  I am scheduled to get my port out on Thursday.  This is exciting and scary at the same time.  When I was told I would need a port for chemo, I didn't think I wanted one.  I learned that it would be a good friend.  All the blood test and chemo went through the port and it was mostly painless.  I learned early on to use lidocaine to numb the site a half hour before.  It was funny because I would put the lidocaine on and then cover it with plastic wrap.  This meant I literally walked into the clinic with plastic on my port.  It was the best.  I barely would feel the needle.  I waited to get the port out until school was out and I wanted a year free from treatments.  It has worked good for blood draws.  It has flipped or something and now does not work.
It is exciting to think that I am cancer free and don't need the port.  It was a security blanket for me, but now I will have a scar of honor.  That scar will remind me of the miracles that have happend and the journey of my cancer recovery.
I am awake when they take this out on Thursday which scares me some.   They tell me it is not a big deal, but it is not their juggler vein that is being stitched.  I know that all will go well and it will just be another jog on this road.
Have a great week



Keep Fighting

Cathy


No comments:

Post a Comment