Friday, July 20, 2012

Lymphedemia

I didn't know much about lympedemia last year, but this year I know so much more.   I remember years ago seeing someone who was going through cancer treatment having a really big arm.  I now know it is much more than that. If you research the topic on the internet there is not a lot of information on the topic.  From experience I learned that when they remove the lymph glands you can get swelling in the area.  It can happen right away or after years. Mine started on my birthday which was about 4 months from my surgery.  What a birthday present!   My fingers and hands on the side of my surgery started to get bigger and bigger.  It was obvious what the problem was.  To treat the problem there are compression sleeves, and massages.  Lymphedemia can be in other parts of the body depending on where the lymph nodes were removed.   I have been going through flare ups where the sleeve won't fit and then I need to wrap my arm with special bandages.  I look like a mummy in my arm.  My family has been so good about helping me wrap my arm.  Some people can wrap themselves, but it is not easy at all!
This week I started trying a tribute sleeve to help the swelling.  It offers compression to the area.  I am hoping that will really relieve some of the problems.  Time will tell.
One of the things I have noticed is people do not about this condition.,  I am asked at least once a day by a stranger " what happened to your arm"  or   "how did you do that".  They all think it is an injury.  It is hard to always answer the questions and many times I will say " it's not so bad" or something really generic.
I would like to hear from others who are dealing with this problem.  We can swap ideas on controlling the situation.  I will write more about this another day.
Remember keep fighting.  You are worth it!!!!


Cathy

No comments:

Post a Comment